Nina's mental health?

Paula

I've read a little about Nina's mental health experiences. Is it true that she was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder? I curious to find out more about how her creative practice help her to navigate her mental health challenges?

aaron

Content Manager ⁠— Estate of Nina Simone
Staff member
Nina was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and was medicated at various points in her life.

As a permanent side-effect of medications she developed a mild-to-severe case of tardive dyskinesia, which caused ticks in her face and mouth, and involuntary tongue movements. However, accounts from her close friends and family stated that if she was not medicated she could not manage her career and/or personal life.

I've always been curious about the relationship between creativity and mental health, even took a course in college called "Creativity and Madness" that explored the topic.

However, in Nina's case it's been my impression that her mental health negatively affected her art, rather than contributed to it. I think part of this is also the fact that many artists, while they excel at being creative, aren't great at managing their careers or the business side of art and entertainment, so her creative impulses might've been impeded by her struggle with managing her own career.

I think what Nina desperately needed was a manager that was passionate about Nina, looked out for Nina, and truly had Nina's best interests at heart. With the right manager, I believe she could have thrived.

Then again, I also know that Nina could be difficult to manage, so I'm not entirely sure the typical artist/manager relationship could have always endured her temperament.

She did have some very close companions that looked out for her (Roger Nupie and Gerrit de Bruin come to mind) but I don't think either of them were equipped to fully manage her career.

Last edited:

Paula

Thank you for your reply. This is a great place for me to continue more research. I have heard before that some mental health medicine can cause tardive dyskinesia and never noticed signs of that in Nina, but it is something I will look more carefully for now. Please let me know if you think of anything else that might be helpful.
Thanks

2coolmom

Many creative individuals do find that their artistic practices help them navigate their mental health challenges. Art can be a powerful outlet for expressing emotions and coping with difficult experiences.

If you're interested in learning more about how creativity can positively impact mental health, there are numerous studies and articles available on the topic. You might find it inspiring to explore how various artists have used their craft as a form of therapy and self-expression.

Additionally, it's essential to be aware that if you or someone you know is struggling with mental health issues, there's a mental health crisis hotline available. Don't hesitate to reach out to them for support and guidance during challenging times.

Last edited:

Bayetagl

Creativity and art can definitely be therapeutic when dealing with mental health challenges. It's inspiring to see how many artists use their craft as a form of self-expression and healing. If you're looking for more resources on this topic, you might find some valuable information on websites like fherehab.com. And remember, if you or someone you know needs support, don't hesitate to reach out to a mental health crisis hotline for help.

Last edited:

ayanwgos

As someone who has grappled with mental health, particularly zoophobia, I can empathize with the challenges individuals face. It's a journey navigating through such struggles, and finding ways to cope, like engaging in creative practices, can be immensely helpful.
It's true that Nina has been open about her struggles with bipolar disorder. She's spoken candidly about how her creative practice, particularly her music and art, has played a significant role in helping her navigate these challenges. Also, if you're curious about zoophobia, this link might provide some insights: https://www.mentalhealth.com/disorder/specific-phobia/zoophobia/. Remember, you're not alone, and seeking help is a brave step toward healing.

Last edited: